Aku menulis apa yang ingin aku tulis, bukan apa yang ingin kamu baca :)

Monday, 5 May 2014

Dear kids

Hello. Just in case you don't know, I'm the kind of person who embraces depression and unhappiness, and I have to admit that there were a few times I felt so suicidal that it made me think about doing something about it. But thank God, I am still too unprepared to die, and still too hungry to leave this world of ready-to-absorb experiences. But, yes I did think about it. When I was 15. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been surrounded by sweet, kind and supportive mom. I’m just a worried person. But you know what, this writing is not about me.
This writing is about something that scares the shit out of me. The cases of suicidal underaged children, as there have been numerous stories about kids who killed themselves. I’ve heard one about a primary school student who killed himself because his parents wouldn’t buy him a blackberry. A fucking blackberry. I remember when I wanted a cellphone when I was at my 5th grade, my dad told me to wait until 6th grade, and that he would only buy me one if I achieved great scores for my final exams. Waiting for another year did not make me want to kill myself. (Oh, no. Now I'm starting to talk about myself. This is just an example, guys.)
Not only because they're spoiled brats, there were also a few other cases about children who killed themselves due to “putus cinta”, or “kasih tak sampai”. I mean, come on, man. I found those stories intriguing and horrifying at the same time. Have we lost our will to survive from disappointments? How come losing a life is an easier decision to make than to lose fear?
I’m not an expert on anything, but I know that all of these kids’ tendencies to kill themselves are not prematurely wrong. I wonder, why did they choose suicide? Is it because of TV shows? Movies? Books? Friends? Is it the "I'd rather die if I can't have you" kind of songs? I’m not experienced enough to offer solutions. I can only raise a series of "why-based" questions.
The first time I saw this photo below, I chuckled a bit. My pathetic, dark soul thought that it's funny. 
But then, I realized that it’s not funny at all. 




Kids, why can’t you just cry or play video games, or even (I’m really sorry if this offends some parents who happen to read this post) smoke your first cigarette? 
Why can’t you guys go back to “Kenakalan anak- anak baru gede”?

Is suicidality the new naughtiness?
I sure hope it's not.

No comments:

Post a Comment